MAKE ‘WORKING FROM HOME’ WORK FOR YOU!
Working from home is no longer a choice for many of us. However, we can choose how we work from home.
I spent over 6 years working from home. In my humble opinion, there is an easy way and there is an effective way. Thankfully, I chose the latter so I can tell you, from experience, that it works. Of course, it’s all in the preparation and adopting a certain frame of mind.
- Yes, I know – as if you didn’t have enough to do! Pre-Prep will be a god-send, you need to be prepared in your ‘office’ space and in your daily schedule – so start as you mean to go on and make sure you have everything you need at the ready!
- SCOPE YOUR SPACE
- You need your own little haven! This isn’t always possible of course. If you have a spare room, it’s a no-brainer. If you don’t, try to bagsy a space in your house where you can zone out of ‘the box’ and focus on your inbox.
- GET READY FOR WORK
- Get up, get showered and get dressed! It may be your prerogative to work in your PJ’s and not bother with your hair, or makeup if you wear it! But a) it doesn’t put you in the correct ‘mode’ and b) it doesn’t prepare you for the unscheduled skype call with your boss! Be prepared.
- SET THE BOUNDARIES
- This should also be part of the pre-prep, at least where the rest of the household is concerned. So, if you haven’t already, have a chat at the dinner table about what you need by way of support from other members of your household. This could be keeping the music or TV volume below a certain level; not running in and out of ‘your office’ with the nerf gun; pretending you are not physically there during a certain timeframe etc. Or, it could be randomly receiving a welcome cuppa and a cake – but please knock first!!! Just ensure the rules balance for all and allows you the space to be effective.
- We all need a break – whether we feel we’ve had too much screen time and going cross-eyed and head-butting the keyboard is becoming a habit – or we can no longer feel our lower limbs #numbbum – take regular breaks. Go grab your own cuppa and cake; go for a walk; go and talk to the flowers. Whatever lifts your spirits and helps you to re-focus.
- Something you might be lacking if you don’t have physical stimulation from family or housemates, or a decent response from the flowers! So, you will need to get that stimulation elsewhere to keep you sane and keep you focussed.
- You could try scheduling a regular call to your craziest pals; taking your mid-day break at the leisure centre by joining a class (or an online class from your living room during times like these) – hopefully that skype call doesn’t come when you’re perfecting the one-legged crow pose. Whatever floats your boat – you know what your mind needs to refresh.
- CLOCKING OFF
- Set your alarm if you don’t trust yourself! But clock-on and off at set times. It’s so important to ‘leave the office’ and fully focus on ‘going home’.
All you need is a designated space, a focussed mind, organisation and balance! If you already have the technical tools you need that allow you to work from home, the rest is down to you. You’ve got this!
STAY STRONG, STAY SAFE, STAY HOME
TELL US ABOUT YOUR OWN WORKING FROM HOME EXPERIENCE
See more blogs www.newworldbusinesscentre.co.uk/blog