Your meeting checklist from New World Business Centre
It’s no secret that preparation or lack thereof can make or break a business meeting. In order to ensure a productive and successful meeting there needs to be a certain amount of planning involved which can be time consuming. To help make your next team meeting more productive and to you save you time and money, here is our 4 part checklist for a effective and successful meeting.
Meeting room hire
– Determine a budget for your meeting.
– Decide where to hold the meeting. Where is convenient for everyone?
– Confirm the availability of the space
– Arrange for any required equipment.
– Establish the layout of the meeting room and seating arrangements.
If you are hiring a meeting room make sure your chosen space has everything you and your attendees need.
– Parking facilities
– Catering services (tea and coffee, kitchen services, buffet lunch etc.)
– Technology (high speed internet, conference phone, plug sockets etc.)
– Disabled access
– Can the space hold all of your participants?
Before the meeting / Meeting preparation
– Define a clear goal for your meeting. What do you want to achieve?
– Select the participants. Who needs to attend?
– Assign participant roles: facilitator, scribe, timekeeper, contributor, expert.
– Set a date
– Set a start and end time. How long should the meeting last? How many breaks are necessary?
– Distribute an agenda and any other materials to the participants and demand that they come prepared.
– Choose a decision making method: majority vote, group consensus, leader’s choice.
– Make sure you are prepared: practice your presentation, print your handouts.
During the meeting
– Make sure the meeting room is prepped and ready.
– Start the meeting on time.
– Establish ground rules (turn off mobile phones, no talking over one another, respectful communication, proper participation etc.)
– Confirm that all the participants received and understood the agenda.
– Repeat the goal of the meeting to the attendees.
– Take notes
– Make sure everyone has the chance to express their opinion.
– Stay focused and follow your agenda to make sure you stay on time.
– Assign clear tasks to your participants with due dates.
– Summarise all decisions made and tasks required – nobody should leave feeling confused.
– Schedule a follow-up meeting if you need.
– Any unfinished business should be put on the next meeting agenda.
– End your meeting on time.
After the meeting / Follow-up
– Distribute the minutes
– Type up your notes from the meeting
– Offer thanks via email
– Communicate tasks
– Communicate any major decisions to the rest of the company.
– Gather feedback from your participants to help your future planning efforts.
– File minutes
– Confirm a date for a follow-up meeting
We hope you have found our meeting checklist helpful. If you would like to find out more information about New World Business Centre and the meeting services we offer please go to https://newworldbusinesscentre.co.uk/